The Broken Skies
-As the War against Heaven began in earnest, the Alteir realized their human foodsoldiers were not an effective field unit. Determined to win by any means, the Alteir engineers began transforming human slaves into a new species: the Kulach
The Kulach were bred to be strong and tough, but more importantly, to interface well with the weapons and armor being made for them, to give the warriors of the Empire a better chance against the Host of Angels rallied against them.
The Kulach are large and powerfully built, standing between 6’2" and 7’5 on average, though outliers in the species have been known to grow much bigger than that. Males and females are physically identical to a casual observer, both sporting hugely bulging muscles and a powerful frame.
Kulach do not naturally grow hair. Their skin is a gray color similar to that of elephants and rhinoceri. Their eyes are completely black with no visible white
Kulach tend to form small, insular groups of ten to twenty members known as the Grach’ma. The leader of the Grach’ma, or Ta’grah, is the only one of them who will speak to outsiders, whether other Kulach or other species. Grach’ma will sleep in the same room, generally move through the city in a group and largely function as a singular unit. Unlike the simularly insular Avekh, the Kulach generally make their homes in the cities.
It is not unheard of for Kulach to be Si’Grach, or without a family. These outcasts will never be accepted into an existing Grach’ma. Occasionally, groups of Si’Grach will band together and form their own Grach’ma, but more often than not they simply persist.
Kulach Language and terms
I’ve slowly been building vocabulary
- Kulach si’Kulkeoch: “Soldiers without Weapons” those of the Kulach who have become laborers.
- Kul si’grah d’vyeo: “Kill in anger without orders.” The highest crime in Kulach society
- Grach’ma: Family, order, fighting unit
- Si’grach: Without family, exile
- Ta’Grah: Leader of a Grach’ma
Kulach tend to be distrustful of other races in general, but rely on the infrastructure of cities to function. There are no Kulach cities, but is a Kulach district in virtually every city in the world, even a small one in the Avekh city of Averehl
Alignment and Ritual
Kulach tend towards Lawful alignments but there is nothing saying this must be so
There are Kulach control no Sephira but there there are numerous Templar amongst the Sephira of Strength and War, and reliquarians of the Kulach are granted access to most Sephira that their home nation allows.
Almost all Kulach adventurers are Si’Grach, either outcasts or orphans from their family. Those that join adventuring parties eventually form bonds as tight with their comrades as ever they had with their lost Grach’ma.
Kulach Racial Traits
- +2 Str +2 Con -2 Int: The Kulach are powerfully built, but were designed to be foot soldiers, not generals.
- Medium: Most Kulach are medium size and gain no bonuses or drawbacks for their size.
- Normal Speed: Kulach move at 30 feet per round
- Kulach Knack: The Kulach have an unusual flair for magic devices, gaining a +2 to any UMD check. This increases to a +4 for any magic item designed by the Imperiate or using Imperiate schematics. They also get a +4 circumstance bonus to any Knowledge Arcana check to determine what a magical item does.
- Thick skin: The Kulach have a +1 Natural armor bonus
- Perfect Metabolism: An army marches on their stomach and the Kulach march hard and far. Kulach require half as much food as other races to survive
- Resonance: The Kulach have an intuitive connection to magical items. They know how to get the most use out of an enchantment. They gain a +1 competency bonus on attack and damage rolls made with a magic weapons and a +1 competency bonus on AC with enchanted armor. In both cases, the item must already possess at least a +1 enhancement bonus for this ability to work.