The Broken Skies
The Alteir are the decendants of humans who used Hexium based ink to create magical tattoos in the form of runes of power.
Due to Hexium’s mutagenic properties, however, progressive generations of Alteir became increasingly distant from humanity, eventually splitting into three distinct species. The Low Alteir, the Dragon Riders, and High Alteir. The High Alteir served as the priests and nobility of Alteir society, and eventually of that of the Imperiate.
High Alteir are the tallest of the Alteir Castes. Males stand on average between 5’11 and 6’7. Like all Alteir, the High Alteir have patches of draconic scales on the backs of their arms, neck and down their spine. High Alteir scales tend to be of lighter colours, white, silver or gold. Their eyes glow with an inner light, and tend towards the high end of the spectrum, Indigo and purple. Those of the highest birth glow white.
Even though the Hexium tattoos of from the days of the Imperiate are rare, most Alteir have their face tattooed as part of their initiation to adulthood.
By far, most High Alteir are completely integrated into Human society. Whlle many distrust them, their personability and general competancy make them excellent functionaries in government make them shrewd and efficient businessmen.
However, about 50 years back, a vast fleet of dreadnaughts commanded by High Alteir materialized from seemingly nowhere and conquered a good portion of one of the northern shards. Declaring themselves the Second Imperiate, this new power styles itself and its culture after the ancient Alteir culture of old.
Alteir often times have a strained relation with other races. Even now, most High Alteir hold themselves aloof, believing themselves to be inherently superior. Most High Alteir don’t dislike other races, instead finding them and their short lives to be amusing.
There are others, however, who are more humble
High Alteir Racial Traits
- +2 Wis, +2 Cha, -2 Str: The High Alteir are imposing and shrewd, but their breeding was for command rather than labor
- Medium: Medium peeps
- Speed: 30 feet
- Lowlight vision
- Alteir Immunities: High Alteir gain a +2 bonus to resist Sleep and Paralysis effects, and a +2 bonus to Hexium Poisoning
- Darkvision: 30 feet
- Alteir Magic: +2 bonus to spellcraft checks to overcome spell resistance
- Heir of the Dragon: High Alteir sorcerers with the Dragon Bloodline treat their charisma as 2 points higher for all sorcerer spells and bloodline abilities. Further, Sephiric Spellcasters among the High Alteir with access to the Dragon Domain may use its domain power and cast spells from that domain +1 Caster level
- Vox Imperium: High Alteir gain a +2 bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy an Intimidate. This is becomes a +4 when dealing with Kulach, or with Low or Wild Alteir.
- Weapons Familiarity: Alteir treat dueling blades and anything with the word “Alteir” in it as a martial weapon.